Every manager needs to get exceptionally clear on the promises they will make to those around them.
Executed consistently a personal code of conduct will build deep trust between all team members. Some examples:
- I promise to always look at each person individually.
- I promise to treat all conversations confidentially.
- I promise to always advise or do what is best as if I were in your position; balancing the short and long term:
- Even if it will be more difficult for me.
- Even if it will be more difficult for others including our team or our customers.
- Even if the advice or actions don’t seem nice, easy or even possible at the time.
What are the promises that you make to those around you?
Are these aligned with other managers in your company?
Are these aligned with your company’s values?
If you rated these as a PPC from last week against every interaction you had what would your score be?
INTEGRITY (Brené Brown Definition)
“Choosing courage over comfort, choosing what’s right over what’s fun, fast or easy, and practicing your values not just professing your values”