Most contractors don’t have a consistent internal process much less a deep understanding of what the process looks like downstream or upstream.
This lack of knowledge impacts every aspect of change management, including the customer relationship, profitability, and cash flow. Understanding this entire value-stream is really about learning to see.
The workflow shown is a simple example. This needs to be expanded significantly for your company and modified for each project. Coach your project team members to map this out in more detail with the objectives being:
- Shorten time between start of work performed and cash-in.
- Improve the customer experience by making the process efficient for them.
For each step know the following:
- Who is primarily responsible and who is involved?
- How would you rate your relationship with that person? Will they go out of their way to help you?
- What is the estimated timing of how long each step should take? What can shorten it?
- What specifically is required at each step per the contract, other standards or preferences?
- What tools are used for each step?